Cover songs have been popular in the world of rock ‘n’ roll since, well, the beginning of the world rock ‘n’ roll. Originally, cover songs often carried a negative connotation — they were seen as a less talented and successful act “stealing” the superior work of the composer to make a quick buck — but these days, they are typically recognized as one artist paying homage to another in a show of admiration. Either way, cover versions occasionally turn out to be more popular than and/or artistically superior to the originals. It’s not common, but here are 10 songs that, despite great original versions, work better as covers.
- 10 Best Cover Songs and Remakes (forbes.com)
- Prince Goes Rock ‘N Roll For New Video (new102.cbslocal.com)
- Covering another artist’s song (paulleion.me)
- New BEAT100 Originals and Covers Music Video Charts (prweb.com)
- Weekend Music Thread-Cover Songs (planetpov.com)